Sunday 3 July 2011

Unexpected nuisances

Miles -9 each so total 18 today
Many years ago I was a Girl Guide -for a short period only. I joined because I rather liked the blue uniform. Realising the outdoors was not for me I didn't stay long! If I only knew all these years later I would be marching up hills with my rucksack - but it hopefully taught me to be prepared. I thought I was. All those problems walking and Ireland would throw at me -
rain- water proof jacket and trousers tick
athletes foot - enough foot spray and powder that I could pack tick
cold -sweatshirts, fleeces and camping stove (could provide warm drinks and soup) tick
trench foot (yes I am prepared!!)-  waterproof and breathable socks and shoes tick
However today a few things I had not thought about -insect repellant (both Sam and me got attacked by several swarms of insects), tarmac remover (it was warm enough for parts of the road to melt and I stepped in melting tarmac twice -my poor expensive trainers), rehydration sachets (it was so hot I was craving salt - a packet of peanuts did the trick!).
We walked about 9 miles each today. Sam walked from the point we finished yesterday to Blainroe where I left the car. He then picked me up on the coast road north of Arklow. We had a 20 minute rest on a very picturesque beach, shame it was full of rubbish and difficult to get to through a mini swamp! Now lying down in  a room in The Arklow Bay Hotel (thanks for the complimentary night) watching the mens's Wimbledon final. Sam has been fast asleep for about two hours!! It was he who also fell asleep in the car on the way home yesterday - these youngsters have no stamina!!!
Will upload all our photos and add some to the blog but Djokovic calls!
Jane
 Some typical views en route of the beautiful countryside




No comments:

Post a Comment