Saturday 23 July 2011

Hurray have internet!!

Finally we have internet again, so below I have given an update on last week. Hopefully I can get all the blogs done before Sam takes the laptop!!!


Back to Bantry Bay(friday 22nd)
Jane7.5 Sam and Dushi 9 Total 16.5
Walking total 396.5( -19)

A really good day initially. Decided to walk away from Ring of Kerry since the coaches make it really dangerous.We drove to Kilgarvan and then walked inland down to Bantry. I have to say the scenery was rather like The Alps, lots of waterfalls, bubbling brooks, occasional farms and I only saw one car in the course of an hour and half walk. From there we drove to the north coast of The Sheep's Head Peninsula to give Dushi some different scenery. Again walking by the Bay of Bantry was really lovely. Finished the day early since Sam's ankle playing up again.




Had a very nice meal in Kenmare to round off Dushi's stay in Ireland.



Paradise found!(Thurs 21st)
Jane 11 Sam and Dushi 12 Total 23
Walking total 380 (-12.5)
Walked the most westerly part of The Ring of Kerry today. It certainly was a great day, with lovely weather –dry, sunny with a nice breeze. 
Waterville




I particularly liked Waterville and talked to a lovely woman out walking her baby, she said I must visit Derrynane Bay. At the last part of my walk I was high above it and then saw a little unsigned road. I took the chance and it did indeed lead me downwards to the most wonderful setting – a large sandy beach, little inlets, islands in the distance and the sunniest part of the day so far – paradise as you can see from the photos.
Home for dinner. I had wanted to take Dushi out to the pub for some local music but the ‘kids’ too tired!! Last day in the house tomorrow so washing machine being utilised!
Jane

My tyring day off (Wed 20th)
Sam and Dushi 10.5 Jane 1 Total 11.5
Walking total 357 (-12.5 behind schedule)
I was really looking forward to my day off. I had planned to wander around Kenmare and laze all afternoon with a book. Well didn’t quite happen!
In the morning I took Sam and Dushi to north coast of The Beara Peninsula for the start of their walk and they were going to walk back into Kenmare. Today was scheduled a rest day for us both but Sam wanted to make up lost ground and he did have a rest day on Saturday. After dropping them off, I stopped in Kenmare and noticed that one of the tyres was completely flat. Went to shop where they give us free wi-fi  and did a few emails and try to catch up with my blog. Everything seems to take so long. I got some email advice from Paul about reading the car instruction manual about flat tyres and using the emergency sealant and pump. All sounded terribly complicated. Went back to the car and followed instructions, it was actually easier than I had thought and I managed to inflate the tyre. Next job finding a tyre shop! The Irish do have a knack of giving poor directions. I was told to drive up a road a mile or two and the Kenmare Tyre Centre would be there. After over three miles I gave up and was trying to find a place to turn around when suddenly the tyre centre appeared. Very nice chap sorted a new tyre out and also gave me a generous donation. Finally made it back to Kenmare for a look around and explore. It certainly is a very picturesque and interesting town.




Had a whole hours read and rest before dinner. We drove into Killarney to watch latest Harry Potter film. Sam drove home through the winding roads between Kenmare and Killarney so the adventure continued for another hour! Back to walking tomorrow!

Climbing Mountains (Tues 19th)
Jane 11  Dushi and Sam 11 Total 14 (since we walked 3 miles together –more about that later!)
Walking total 345.5 (-24 miles)

Muckross House

Lady's View


Sam drove Michela to the airport this morning and he dropped me in the Killarney National Park en route so I could get some walking in. (Thanks Michela for doing so well with the walking –a marathon in 2 days not bad!). A really great walk around the lake since there were no cars and the scenery wonderful. Walked up to Muckross House and Abbey. The sun appeared for the first time in many days and had a great drive back to Kenmare with stops at Lady’s View and Moll’s Gap.
We decided to have a different day away from traffic and had planned some long walks at a close by park on the Beara Penisula. Gleninchaquin Park was quite difficult to find, driving for 5 miles down a very small “road”. We decided on one of the shorter walks first so that the 3 of us could walk together. We hadn’t realised this was mountain walking! We did literally walk up a mountain, walk around the top of a waterfall and back down –it took us a little longer than planned. I thought I had got fitter these last few weeks but goodness me it was a hard climb. The view from the top was fabulous. We were constantly surrounded by sheep with amazing agility. In fact Dushi and I feel there is  quite a sheep like quality in Sam, he managed to bound up and down without any problem.






So after our mountaineering time was short so we did a brief walk around the coast and called it a day. I had a sweet little dog follow or more accurately lead me for about 2 miles. Speaking to a local   farmer he (the dog) is a well known wanderer! Back home to my Irish lamb stew which was rather good.
Jane


The Ring of Kerry (Mon 18th)
Jane 12.5 Sam and Michela 11.5 Total 24
Walking total 331.5
I gave Sam his birthday present of a lie in by picking up Dushi early from the airport. Dushi is another medic (from Imperial, Michela is at Barts and The London –of course you know which is the most superior!!- I’m ex  Londoner).  Dushi unfortunately not too well so she spent the day in bed.



Decided to do a walk scheduled for later in the week so that Michela could have a walk in The Ring of Kerry. One of the main problems is the traffic, particularly the large touring coaches. However they are only allowed to drive anti clockwise so we did the walk in reverse ie also anti clockwise so that we would be walking on the opposite side of the road to the coaches. It rained near enough the whole day. Met up with Sam and Michela in Sneem for a hot drink since it was also cold. The local radio was also complaining about everyone having to put the central heating back on because of the low temperatures. Sneem is holding its Family Festival, the climax being the Paddy Power National find some information and I am    writing a separate blog because it so deserves it!
Overall a good day’s walking. Ankles much better. I risked walking in trainers despite the rain, feet stayed dry and ankles are happier for it. Sam’s ankle also fine at the moment. No other aches and pains.
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment