Tuesday 26 July 2011

Into the Clouds

Sam: 13.5, Jane: 10, total 23.5, walking total 453.

Today we walked from Castlemaine to Listowel, and from a walking point of view it was definitely my worst day. We decided to take the scenic route, with less traffic, but naturally very hilly. The first quarter of a mile was lovely, and then the road became very steep. It continued to rise with every corner I turned.

The clouds were really low and the air very humid. Then the fine rain came. I had to stop to catch my breath, and the weather was getting worse and worse. At this point I decided I wanted to go home. The visibility became very poor, and then I realised that the moistness in the air was due to the fact that I had actually walked into a cloud. Finally, the summit came and the descent started, which felt a lot better (except on the knees). Anyway, I managed it.

Under the cloud

In the cloud


At the end of our walk we found our way to Millstream House. Nora and Jim were marvelous hosts, and upon our damp and miserable arrival, treated us to delicious toasted sandwiches, cake and apple pie. They were wonderful hosts and we hope to return one day.

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment