Sunday 24 July 2011

Great weekend and over 400 miles!!!

Sat 23rd
Jane 13 Sam 12  Total 25
Walking total 421.5 miles
We had an early start this morning. Dushi had to be at Kerry airport early so on the drive there Sam dropped me off at The Killarney National Park and I was walking by 8am in the beautiful tranquil surroundings by The Lakes. Thanks Dushi for all the walking and for introducing me the the delights of Dinner Date!
We then drove to the north part of the Ring of Kerry and headed inland to walk. The walk was really lovely past small and larger lakes with fishermen. My legs did start to scream at me and I have to say I was feeling rather tired and then I saw a sign saying i was walking in the Glencor area which is known as the Kerry Highlands and is twinned with The Scottish Highlands, no wonder my thighs felt the climb!
I was also boosted by a call from Jane McKenna as I was walking a particularly steep part. Jane and her family are the story behind LauraLynn House and I have done a separate blog to tell you their story. It was so nice to talk to Jane and I really hope we will meet up in Dublin. You made the climb easier Jane!


Stayed at The Kingfisher Lodge in Killarney and many thanks to Ann for your generosity.
Treated ourselves to a great meal in a restaurant called Bricin -traditional Irish. We both had boxties, a filled potato pancake and as you can see they look very nice! My seafood chowder (again a real Irish dish) was also delicious.



Sunday 24th
Jane 8 Sam 0 Total 8(not bad for our rest day)
Walking total 429.5 (-11 behind schedule)
I had my first full Irish breakfast since not walking -delicious. Ann makes the greatest Irish soda bread and has promised me the recipe so we will be having that a lot at home in the future.
Had  a drive out to Gap of Dunloe but the cloud was so low we couldn't see anything. Made our way to our lovely hotel -the Lake Hotel, actually on The Lower Lake -thank you again for your kind generosity.
It is a fabulous hotel and Queen Victoria stayed here when she and her ladies in waiting named "Lady's View". We sat in the piano lounge for several hours relaxing, reading and skyping and so on.
 It got rather hot and I then realised there were two fires going! I wanted some fresh air so I sauntered off to the National Park a few minutes away and came back nearly 3 hours later, having walked to Torc Waterfall.
The setting of the hotel is glorious.

So we have done over the 400 so far. We are a few miles still behind schedule but not too worried since we will have walked over 500 by the time Paul and Annie come out on Friday. Both Sam and myself are feeling very postive and are enjoying the experience. It was  nice for Sam to have the company of his friends the last week and I enjoyed their company too.
view from our room 
cormerants on the lake

Torc waterfall

No comments:

Post a Comment