Tuesday 12 July 2011

My Family

One of the great aspects of the walk so far has been meeting up with my family. My dad, Tim had two sisters (Joan and Mary) and 3 brothers (Jack, Dennis and Joe). I have had little contact with cousins still in Ireland but I'm hoping that after this adventure that will change, since I feel that I have been reunited with old friends.

Joan had 9 children: Nora, Nell, Pat, Jack, Mary, Joan, Gay, Kathleen (or Kate as I will now call her) and Margaret R.I.P. Already, I have met up with Kate several times and met 2 of her 5 children. She has two sons living in Australia (Michael and Anthony) and 3 daughters. Jennifer is married to Cormac, and they have Micheal, Sadhbh, Niamh and Sean. They are pictured below with Coco, their Labrador. Their home has the most stunning views.



Jacqueline, the second daughter, is married to Mark, and they have Ailbhe, Sean and Grainne. I met Jacqueline briefly in the car when she dropped Kate off. Finally, we have Joan, who is married to Paul and their children are Shannon and Jean-Paul.

Aunty Joan's youngest daughter is Nell. I remember her very well since she came and stayed with us in Ilford several times when I was younger with her Dad Uncle Johnny, after her Mum died so young. Nell is pictured below with Kate and Sam. I am hoping to meet more cousins as I make my way round Ireland.


Thanks for all the texts and support, it is all really appreciated.

Jane

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jane Sam - its been lovely to read your blog - its written with such an intimate 'feel' that its almost like walking with you.I feel the pleasure of the beautiful scenery, the pain in your feet and the huge enjoyment you must have encountering cousins who you have always known about but never had the joy of meeting - how proud would you Dad have been of you ?
    This momentous journey will remain with you for its sheer physical exhaustion and the feeling of huge achievement that you must have at the end of each day.
    Take care and well done - Alise and Ron x

    ReplyDelete