Thursday 4 August 2011

The scenery would have been nice!!

Paul 15 Jane 10 Annie 6 Sam 0 Total 25

Sam had decided to take  a rest day today... and well earnt. He wants to do a marathon walk tomorrow - literally.

We walked from Bellmutt around Lake Carowmore. I am sure the scenery and views were lovely, it's a shame the rain rather obscured our view! We got really wet and the only thing worse than being wet is being wet and hot. Annie and I walked together, but after 6 miles she decided to stop because her ankle was hurting. It  has been rather swollen at the end of each day's walk and it was  sensible to take a break and go back to the hotel. Paul also had to return since he needed dry socks. Being the experienced walker I keep a spare set of socks with me (must be my Girl Guide training). I hope no-one was looking as I tried to get my waterproof trousers on, bearing in mind I was sitting in the drivers seat and already rather wet. The fit of waterproof trousers is not a good one and despite loosing a few pounds were a  real struggle to get on - not  a pretty picture!

Anyway completed today's schedule. Passed through lots of bogs where peat was being cut and dried. Scenery in the area generall isolated and bleak, although after the stunning vistas in Connemara anything would be bleak. Actually the scenery reminds me very much of Newfoundland where I spent two months as a medical student.

We have slightly changed the schedule to allow a complete day off from walking and fundraising on Saturday. Tomorrow the walking is all down to Sam and the rest of us are collecting in Ballina.
Paul and Annie have been here nearly a  week. Both coping well. Not surprisingly Annie having problems with her ankles but she is very brave. (You will remember she broke an ankle not that long ago and years ago broke the other one and required surgery after). Paul having a few aches and pains but walking very fast as usual. I seem to be completely well when I'm walking but seize up after and feel really stiff. So getting out of the car after a long walk is accompanied by some moans and groans. My knees ache when I'm in bed but otherwise seem fine.

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment