Saturday 6 August 2011

Last days in Mayo

Friday 5th - Sam 25 miles in just over 6 hours - what a star!
Sam walked his marathon along the north Mayo coast and was rather blase about it. Gained a few blisters but otherwise looked as if he had just taken a gentle walk! The first part of his walk was very pleasant by the coast with some great cliffs.




Start of a marathon day

Seen my friend?



The rest of us were collecting in Ballina. Unfortunately Annie did not feel too well, initially she thought it was my driving making her feel sick. She spent most of the day sleeping in the car whilst Paul and I collected. I kept checking on her to check she wasn't overheating -Paul did remind me she wasn't a dog! I took her to the b and b were staying at nearby in the afternoon and I returned to don the vest and rattle the bucket again. I must say collecting can be very tiring and sole destroying. You can have periods when everyone ignores you and then you can be overwhelmed by people's generosity. Paul took the opportunity to buy some new Sim cards since Just Mobile are no longer trading.
Had a very filling meal at a local pub and headed home early. All of us except Sam have nasty colds and are feeling a bit sorry for ourselves. Made the old joints ache a bit as well! Paul in particular has a very irritating cough (mainly for us!).


Purely medicinal

Saturday 6th
Total 1 mile -our day off
Had a full day off and decided to go for a gentle walk along Enniscrone beach. We were lucky to get a hour or two of reasonable weather before the rain came. Beach very nice with plenty of people in swimming and wind surfing (they are a hardy lot here in Mayo!). The long sandy beach was similar to the beaches in North Norfolk where Maisie absolutely loves to go and we felt jealous of everyone with a dog.



On the way to the beach we passed a hotel which I realised was where we were booked in next. I for some reason thought it was in Sligo town so consquently have spent quite a while trying to rearrange accommodation over the next few days.  Annie and I did get some shopping in before we returned home. I realised I haven't been shopping for 5 weeks. She persuaded me to buy some jeans and a blouse, she says the latter makes me look younger. Well we'll see or I'll want my money back!
Paul and I also took sometime to clear out the car which will need fumigating on our return home. Now it's got plenty of sand from the beach to add to the mess!
This evening had  a really great meal in a hotel bar in Ballina -The Dock bar. Enormous portions so I'm glad it's back to the walking tomorrow otherwise what with the full Irish fry up this mornng I'll never get those new jeans on again.
Thanks to everyone that has left comments on the blog or emailed or text us. It gives us a great lift that everyone is behind us and we aren't on our own! I talk to my mum and she gives us all the news. She is counting down the days and following us on the map with the whole of Queenswood House.
Tomorrow we walk from Co Mayo into Co Sligo. I do hope the weather improves for us.

View from our lounge this evening

Jane

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a beautiful picture Jane and Annie. You will have many memories of tnis trip for many years to come. Thinking of you all the Hallahans xx

    ReplyDelete