Thursday 2 June 2011

A whole new world!!

Those of you who know me will understand that me and the athletic world are not natural friends!! Since the walking training has started however a whole new world has opened up to me.....twin layer socks, gait analysis, mobility control trainers and muscle memory.
In Runner's World (not a shop I normally frequent!) I have had my gait analysed. Sadly despite 47 years practise I don't walk correctly!! I apparently overpronate and need to relax my feet when walking. If anyone has any ideas about how to do the latter please let me know. I have considered a couple of glasses of wine prior to a walk but not practical, although certainly I may resort to some of that lovely black liquid in Ireland!. Perhaps a soothing bath? -no to prevent blisters one must not wash your feet and soften them prior to a long walk or so I have read on blister forums (yes they exist - told you it was a different world).
Once you learn to walk again you have to choose a pair of trainers. In the past I was swayed by the nice colour, now I have to take into account terrain, instep, motion control, cushioning,ventilation -help!! Then you have the physical shock of the price of such a pair (or of course two because you have to rotate them) of high precision footwear...ouch!
Whilst purchasing the said trainers I was asked whether I need any body glide.....this is the lubrication you require to prevent chaffing in the parts that you never knew could chafe!! It too comes in different formulations.
You then have to make a decision about whether to opt for a compression, encapsulating or combined sports bra... no I give up now!!! As I say a  whole new world has opened up.
Jane Publish Post

No comments:

Post a Comment